samedi 15 décembre 2012

Outstanding Dinner in the Outskirts of Paris

I am very fortunate to have a wonderful local restaurant in La Garenne Colombes on the outskirts of Paris. Le Saint Joseph was recognised earlier this year for its excellence with an entry into the Michelin Guide. It is not hard to see why they have received this commendation.

It was my second visit, and once again the welcome was both warm and sincere. It is a very popular place, as evidenced by the need to book at least 3 days ahead. I was stunned that the helpful and charming lady in charge of front of house waitress remembered me from my last visit nearly 4 months ago. 

The 29€ three course dinner represents excellent value. We paid a supplement for some of our dishes. I was guided towards the snails with chorizo, mushrooms and red wine (cocotte escargots bourgogne, chorizo, champignons) which was served in a small cast-iron casserole dish. I have only ever had snails with garlic, parsley and butter before. As much as I like them that way - this was much better. The individual flavours were detectable with the rich flavour very warming on this cold, December evening. So enthused, I mopped up the last of the remnants of the sauce with the fresh, crusty bread.  The staff were so thoughtful that they even brought out a second dish for me to photograph when I thought I had lost the first photo. 

Cocotte escargots bourgogne, chorizo, champignons
My main course was lighter and more subtle in flavour but equally rewarding - scallops and prawns lightly flavoured with vanilla (noix St Jacques à la vanille).  The recommended riesling was the ideal accompaniment for this dish. The scallops were succulant and plump, perfectly cooked.
Noix St Jacques à la vanille
Dessert was equally rewarding. I can't recall the description on the menu but it was like a chocolate mousse served in a glass jar with biscuits. It was smooth, rich and very chocolatey. Not too sweet. The perfect finish to an outstanding meal.

The very personable chef, Denis Jublan, does an amazing job balancing the flavours in his dishes. The freshness and the quality of the ingredients are evident. He is ably supported by knowledgable, enthusiastic front of house staff. This is not a fancy restaurant where you leave feeling hungry. It is down to earth with the focus on providing quality food prepared with attention to detail and passion. It feels like you a sharing a very special meal surrounded by friends and locals who enjoy good food. I am looking forward to my next visit.

Monsieur Le Chef was kind enough to invite me visit the kitchen
Le Saint Joseph
100, boulevard de la République
La Garenne-Colombes 92250
Tel: 01.42.42.64.49.89

2 commentaires:

  1. Ñam, ñam.... I want to visit this place in a future, as soon as possible...

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Quick - book flights for you and Isa to come to Paris and we will take you there. Come and see if it as good as the tapas we had in Seville. Two very different styles of eating - and I love them both.

      Supprimer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...